If you want something done, ask a busy person to do it." ~Lucille Ball







Thursday, November 25, 2010

"30 before 30"

I'm about to be 29.


On Saturday I will celebrate my 29th birthday, and thus begin my last year in my 20's.  Kinda' crazy!  This approaching birthday has brought on some thoughts about the past nine years and the experiences that I have had, the accomplishments, the travels, the relationships... pretty much everything.  So here is a brief summary of my life as a 20 something.


I graduated from college with a bachelors degree.  I turned 21 and celebrated in true Vegas STYLE.  I moved out of my parents house into a crappy apartment and had the best time EVER... I moved home 6 months later.   I spent some time unemployed.  I ended a long term relationship only to jump right into another one.  I broke the heart of someone I cared for.  I had my heart broken, shattered actually.  I chose to end a relationship that was bad for me.... I experienced depression.  I spent an entire summer drinking and partying non stop.  I traveled to Hawaii, Vegas, San Francisco, Hawaii again, Miami, Vegas, Indy, Hawaii, Vegas, Washington D.C., Vegas, and New Orleans.  I went on vacation alone.  I learned how to snowboard... well sort of.  I tried sushi. I became a teacher. I became a choreographer.  I discovered my passion for creating dance.   I bought a business.  I had a business partner for 3 years.  I bought my partners half of the business and started on my own.  I bought a lot of bridesmaids dresses.  I watched my little sister and many of my close friends get married.  I watched some of those marriages fail.  I learned a lot from watching both.  I experienced anxiety, and learned to manage it.  I learned to surf, and I stood up!  I went deep sea fishing.  I started to care about politics and the issues.  I went to my first music festival.  I learned to appreciate a great wine.   I spent a LOT of weekends at the drag races, both driving and watching.  I made new friends.  I had some really bad hangovers.  I fell in like... a couple times.  I fell in love.  I found a really good man.  I became open to the idea of getting married.   I decided that kids wouldn't be so bad, except for the whole giving birth thing.  I started to use eye cream.  I took up yoga.  I attempted to give up fast food,  more than once.  I stopped drinking soda, unless I was hung over.  I baked a lasagna from scratch.  I genuinely had a good time. I laughed a lot, cried a lot and I learned more about who I am, who I want to be and I learned that happiness is a decision that you make!!




But aside from all these things that have been gallivanting through my brain, I have also been thinking about what I would like to do with my last year as a twenty something, before I turn 30.  Now please do not get me wrong,  I am in no way scared of 30.  I think that it will be a marvelous time and that my 30's are going to be even better than my 20's.  But I do have one year left of being "a dumb 20 something" and blaming my stupidity on my age.  So I have compiled a list of my "30 before 30"!!  I realize that a year is not much time, so I've tried to keep it reasonable, but fun and challenging as well.  I also would like to make clear that this is NOT my Bucket List.  Yes, I do have one, but it's much more extravagant and is meant to be completed over a much longer time span (God willing)... and I highly recommend that everyone start theirs!!  So without further distraction, I have decided that in the next year I will.......


1.  Attempt to train my dog to come on command (I said attempt people, I know this will be a challenge)
2.  Get back to a weight that I feel is acceptable
3.  Take up pole dancing (this is to help with #2)
4.  Take ballet classes on a fairly regular basis (this should help also)
5.  Play the piano (I know how to play, but never take the time to actually sit down and do it)
6.  Spend more time with my grandparents!!
7.  Become a decent snowboarder and try not to come home injured every time
8.  Cut my debt in half.  Now this one is ambitious.  It's DOable, but not easy... so we'll see.
9.  Travel to at least one new place
10.  Attend a music festival
11.  Grow my business by 25%  ( It could happen!)
12.  Eat healthier
13.  Drink Less
13.  Enjoy midnight margaritas whenever possible!
14.  Learn to ballroom, or swing dance
15.  Create a successful Dance Recital!!
16.  Start reading Harry Potter.... Ya, ya, I know I'm WAY behind
17.  Say "I Love You" more often
18.  TRY to be less messy
19.  Learn a recipe from my grandma and my mom
20. Find an organization that helps to prevent childhood obesity, and become a part of it.
21.  Sing more! In the car, in the Shower or wherever!!
22.  Dust off my Guitar and look into lessons.  It's time to get back to my musical roots!
23.  Be a better friend, sister, daughter and boss. (There is always room for improvement)
24.  Try something brand new that I have never done... Possibly rock climbing?
25.  Give REAL Hugs all the time!! (No more side hugs, I'm comin' in for the REAL thing)
26.  Really listen when people are speaking, focus on their words and not interrupt.
27.  Fall more deeply in love.  
28.  Go to Church
29.  Pray
30.  Enjoy everyday, even the bad one, and always remember that each day is a gift!





CHEERS!!!

3 comments:

  1. This is great- keep it up! I created a similar blog earlier this year as I approached 30. I've found some good lists on things to do before you're 30 if you're interested :)
    http://exclusivelydes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great writing bum!! That was an awesome blog and an even better plan!! It's gonna be a great year!! If anybody can do it all, you can. You're the coolest person I know, you always live life to the fullest. So keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete